Thursday, June 01, 2006

I've been told that I'm lucky because I am blessed with a high metabolism and can eat whatever I want and not gain an ounce. I think that this is only partially true. I think that working out on a regular basis has been keeping my metabolism at bay. Since college, the longest time I've gone without working out at least a few times a week was 3 months - when I fractured my tailbone. I don't know how long this lifestyle is going to last.

I started working out because I wanted to gain weight. Yep, to gain weight!!! People would asked me if I was anorexic. Anorexic! Oh dear God! Was I that sick looking? I was just lanky, not sickly. At one point someone thought that I was in denial and had suggested that I seek help. And, upon seeing what a big appetite I had, she then changed her mind and thought that I was bulimic instead. After the, "Audrey, are you bulimic" question, I decided right then and there that enough was enough, I gotta create some muscles so people would believe me when I tell them, "No, I'm not anorexic" or "No, I'm not bulimic". Today, I can say that I've reached my goal..I look healthy.

So, for the past 10 years or so, I've been pretty motivated about being healthy, especially when I was preparing for the big day. Alan and I were hitting the gym after work almost all the time, at one point, it was 5x a week. Today was the first time that we were at the gym since we got married. Boy, I tell ya, I was UNmotivated. Is this the "I am married" syndrome? Alan didn't help either..I think he caught it too. Everytime, I looked at him, he would say, "Let's go home" and no matter how I tried to convince myself how good it was for my back that I was pulling down 50 lbs..."Let's go home" was just so much more enticing.

I think this might be it unless I find a new motivation....perhaps..my next motivation will be to lose some weight?

4 comments:

On Purpose said...

I understand fully... I too suffered from thinking I was too skinny. I wanted to gain weight so BAD! In fact, I termed my "condition" anorexia opposite. I would go to the Gap and couldn't fit the size 1 jeans. So I'd go to the cafeteria and eat and eat and eat. Those people who witnessed my apetite diagnosed me with a "TAPE Worm" of all things!!! And for 3 solid weeks, I believed it was quite possible. (At the time, the internet wasn't as it is today... or else I would have just looked it up and rejected that worm thing by day 2.) I concluded by the time I was a JR in college and had the opportunity to eat all that I could eat (in the cafeteria) 3 times a day without gaining a pound, it just wouldn't happen. I also dismissed my letters to Oprah - as I thought she should have done a show about people like me who wanted to be bigger. LOL Then something did happen, late puberty I suspect, or maybe "older age". However, I'm an okay size now. And I'm glad that I got the "metabolism" that I have.

Anonymous said...

Oh my... wish that was my problem. ^_^ To me you've always looked naturally skinny, and never seemed to have an eating disorder. After cheerleading a year in college (IWU) I was on a squad of girls with every type of eating disorder and now I can really tell when someone has an issue with food.

liz said...

Yep, I think you're naturally skinny. Oh and about the gym... I was going to the gym about 3x a week before I was married, but afterward, I was lucky to go 2x a year! I think that's partly John's fault, he never wanted to go.

gorgbroza said...

I'm also naturally skinny, and have recently increased my beer intake in an attempt to develop a gut.