Friday, March 03, 2006

I burnt my soup...again..*sigh*. Alan, who had been looking forward to my low-sodium soup was very disappointed. He asked me, "why do you always do that"? Well, ..because I'm forgetful? I have been preoccupied....with...salt! I have been counting the total mg of salt per serving for everything that I make.

Ever since Alan measured his blood pressure and found that his pressure is higher than what it used to be (higher but definitely not bad), he has been obsessed with how much sodium he consumes and that has rubbed off on me. I picked up a book called "get the Salt out" by Ann Louise Gittleman, M.S., C.N.S from the library and started reading it to Alan during our commute to work.

(Note: The following may contain information related to health or healthy living. Read at your own discretion. If you are experiencing health problems, please go see a doctor, as the suggestions or tips provided cannot be substituted for medical attention. )

The FDA recommends a daily maximum of 2400 mg of sodium. If you eat like most Americans do, you are probably consuming well over that amount. One of the many health conditions linked to having too much sodium in your body is high blood pressure (hypertension) and this is what Alan is worried about.

How much sodium we need depends on who we are (our genetic make up, age, weight, disease, environment, level of physical activity, illnesses, and diet). If you are curious as to how much sodium you should have, ask your doctor to perform a simple nutrient analysis blood test for you when you get your next physical. The book recommends that if your sodium level is between 137 and 144, you'll do well to stay within 2000 mg of sodium per day, if it's above 144, it is best to eliminate unnecessary sodium sources on top of your diet, and if it's below 137, you may need to increase your sodium intake. Be sure to discuss your result with your doctor and get recommendations from her/him.

No comments: