Saturday, May 12, 2007

I love the smell of dirt! And, slugs love beer?!!!

Yup, dirt, you know, as in soil, the earth. The smell of dirt is amazingly refreshing and rejuvenating. I'm not kidding! Go try it. Although I should caution that fertilized soil would smell like crap, uh, I mean manure. Go for the non-fertilized ones and watch out for sow bugs (aka roly poly), they are kinda yucky. Although, technically they are not bugs cuz bugs only got 6 legs or rather 3 pairs of legs. But lots of insects are called bugs but are not really bugs. Since that's another topic, I'm not gonna get into it. I don't know about most people but I don't really like them, even if they are good for the soil. Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! It can roll up into a ball and look like a piece of dirt. And um, don't try to sniff it. I was pulling out weeds at the SF Botanical Garden this morning and oh my gosh, there were a bunch of these sow bugs. They all simultaneously rolled up into little balls, which was kinda neat. Anyhow, what was I saying? Oh ya, the smell of dirt was just really nice! Seriously, I'm not joking.

Oh, I learned an interesting thing today! Did you know that slugs love beer?!!! Seriously! They love beer! So, the gardener, she told me that they put little trays with cheap beers by the seedlings so that the slugs can drink it, fall inside and die. LOL That is just hilarious. Can you imagine it? A little slug comes along, minding its own business and finds that there's beer and go, woohooo free beer! Then climbs on and drinks it. It gets drunk and falls in and dies. Well, that's kinda sad - the dying part, but at least the slug dies happily!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes I think the smell of dirt is what makes a lot of people avid gardeners. It really is refreshing. Perhaps something to do with all of us biologically since for many years we had to till the land and/or forage for food.

I'd like to join the botanical club but 2 Saturdays a month would be too much for me to commit to. Maybe when Sara's older and wants to hang out with her friends on the weekend. Right now I find it challenging just commiting to the library reading programs.

gorgbroza said...

Oh crap... I didn't realize that was for the slugs.

Audrey said...

I know! Regina, I'll go over to your place and pull weeds and do some gardening with you when you feel like gardening with someone! That way we can smell dirt together and feel refreshed! :)

...hmmm...if I were to make a guess on what my ancestors were, I would say they were most likely farmers cuz I got unproportionally big hands and feet and I tan really well... LOL...but then again, at one point in time, everyone was a farmer..hmm...