Tuesday, April 15, 2008

my goldfish lantern

Did I wake up and that spring has past and summer has arrived? Then did I wake up again and spring has returned? The weather hasn't made up its mind. Hot one day and cold and windy the next. If the weather has a gender, I would say it's a she, so fickle!

Well, the other night, I believe it was Sunday night, it felt like a hot late summer or early autumn night. I flopped myself down onto the bed, which was next to the window with a fan running. Feeling a bit of a cool breeze and hearing people talking outside, I suddenly remembered a night many years ago, if my memory was correct, it was the night of the mid autumn festival. Across the pacific, on the other continent, mid-autumn's day was a big deal. I don't even remember how old I was, probably not more than five. I remember me holding my goldfish lantern with a candle inside. I remember staring at the candle flickering, making the red-orange goldfish bright. I wonder if they sell them here in the US....It was a night like Sunday's, hot and neighbors were talking....

3 comments:

alan said...

It was probably the loud Asian neighbors talking that reminded you of the continent on the other side of the Pacific.... they're pretty loud.

Unknown said...

I've seen Asia's autumn festivals in animes and movies. It'd be nice if we did something similar. Doesn't San Francisco have a festival? I thought they did. Maybe we can go there this year (if it's before my next baby's born).

Audrey said...

Yes we should! Maybe I can find a lantern that looks like the one I had.