Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Having the right tools in the kitchen does make a difference. Cooking is so much more fun and oh...so much easier too! I've been using the pasta cooker/vegetable steamer from Crate & Barrel . It was a weddng gift from a good friend. I absolutely love it. I love it so much that I've been using it everyday. I highly recommend it if you're into steaming your stuff. Note: It's healthier to steam stuff...and oh..easier to clean too.

Today, I used it to steam tofu and yesterday, I used it to steam eggs, a chinese dish my grandmother often made, called "Steamed 3 eggs" (it has normal egg, salty egg, & thousand year old egg and minced pork) . It is one of my favorite childhood dishes. My grandma made it all the time when I was a kid. When she makes it, it's so much better though. I don't have the touch yet. I got lots to learn.

In the meantime, I gotta go search for more recipes that call for steaming. Steam broccoli, steam asparagus, steam anything! If you got a good steaming recipe, send it my way. I would love to try it out!

7 comments:

gorgbroza said...

Yes, steaming is fun, but you forgot the important thing: steamed food isn't tasty. :P

Grilling meat is much better for you... you might not live as long, but would you rather have 60 more years of steamed brussel sprouts or 40 of medium-rare cow, just slightly charred on the outside, delicate pink on the inside??? I think I just drooled on the cat.

Audrey is going to outlive all of us, I guess. And Alan, too, not necessarily by choice! :)

Anonymous said...

You can steam us all some baby food! You're steamer set looks nice. I've just started to steam Sara everything I can find that's organic. I agree it's fun. For a baby it's fun and easy since the recipes are simple and I know she's eating healthy food.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
catherine said...

ha ha... vijay the cow lover. and yes - you can steam us veggies for the babies :).
actually, your pic reminded me of when w and i were first married. i introduced him to steaming veggies and after that he steamed everything! he started with one of those little portable steamers with fold out petals. then i got him a steamer pot cheap but we used that one really well! i did finally see a nice steamer on sale. it's big for those fine clam/lobster bake parties that we haven't had yet... ha haa.

gorgbroza said...

At first I thought Catherine said she bought William a "pot steamer".

Audrey said...

Pot steamer? LOL...William wouldn't have minded.

Steaming organic baby food? Hmm...that sounds fun. Next time we'll invite everyone over for some baby food and smoothies. Sounds really healthy.

gorgbroza said...

Can you make me a beer smoothie?